Saturday, March 28, 2015

Days 49-65: Precipitation, ReDox, Thermodynamics, etc.

Given a myriad of extremely good, yet very time consuming things going on in my life this month (expecting twin boys, moving, etc.) I did what I told myself I WOULD NOT DO: I slipped on posting a classroom update to this blog each day. In lieu of accessing my slightly perfectionist side by visiting my lesson plan journal and posting 16 separate updates, I thought a simple reflection with a few pictures would do.

Upon conclusion of the acid-base equilibrium unit, I moved directly into solubility equilibrium for the first time. This led into ReDox chemistry with an emphasis on Galvanic Cells, then into an analysis of the chemistry of chargeable vs. rechargeable batteries. Salt-Bridge analysis in various batteries opened up space for us to re-visit precipitation in the context of anode/cathode solution reactions with salt bridge ions.

ReDox led to combustion reactions and calorimetry which fed nicely into Thermodynamics. Outside of the classroom, I took our STEM scholars to Autodesk for a field trip to look their "Imagine-Design-Create" ethos and help students gain a more thorough understanding of the 3D printer we recently acquired from a generous donor. The below pictures are just a few examples of the past 16 days of class and life at Sacred Heart Cathedral. Apologies for the lag-time.








No comments:

Post a Comment